Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Birth

The last few weeks I knew I was getting closer and closer to having this baby. I was getting more and more uncomfortable. You know that weird feeling when you sit down and you feel like you're sitting on a head. And then there's the needing to pee every half hour. My inner thighs starting to hurt because they're moving in anticipation for the birth. Oh my hips, lower back and sciatica...I was taking a rest and/or a nap daily but I was still beat. This baby was kicking my butt. 

I was having major contractions all day and even more at night. All I kept thinking and hoping was to NOT have this baby in September. I have 3 other boys' birthdays in September and wanted another October birthday. I kept talking myself into it. On Tuesday the 30th, the last day of September I was close...really close. I had a list of things I wanted and needed to get done before this baby could come. I put up the Halloween decorations with Jackson's help. I had Scott take the rest of my maternity pictures. I pre-bowled a game, packed my hospital bag, did laundry, went to a doctor's appointment, had Cafe Rio for lunch and get a few more things ready for the babe. 

By 9 pm that evening, my list was done, I was having major contractions, and was about ready to head to the hospital with Scott and a couple of the boys. Around 10 pm I decided to take a nap, and then we'd go. I woke up around 11:30 pm and everyone was asleep, so I decided to go back to bed too. At 4:30 am I woke up to a gnarly contraction and off we went.

When I arrived to the hospital they were wheeling me to triage to try and determine if I was ready or not, but when I told them this was my 8th boy and at an earlier doctor's appointment I was already dilated to a 4, they took me right to a room. When they checked me, I was already an 8 1/2! I got my epidural, they broke my water and with 2 pushes he was out of me. Yea!!! Will, Tyler, Gavin and a very close friend, Michelle, were there to witness the delivery. Gavin was able to cut the umbilical cord.

He was born at 9:33 am, and was 9 pounds 1 ounce and 20 inches long.  My mom landed at 10 am and was at the hospital my 10:30 am. She barely missed the delivery, but it was nice that she was there while I was in the hospital.

The second he was born I felt so much better. Instantly I was pain free. Yes, I had an epidural, but all those physical problems before were gone. Thank goodness!!

Scott was able to deliver another baby along side my doctor. And like I said, Gavin was able to cut the umbilical cord. 

Each of my boys have been born on a different day of the month, AND their weights have all been different.  We have also been good about not repeating a first or middle initial. We knew the date would work, but what about his weight? 9lbs 1 oz.  HE FITS!! 

1 Comment:

Elizabeth said...

Lori, you are awesome. I loved reading this and I love Gavin's cute face while cutting the cord! You rock childbirth!