Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shredded Chicken Tacos and Spanish Rice...don't mind if I do!!

Scott and I invited Brynnlee and Zak over Sunday night for dinner, games and dessert. It was fun, as always, with these two! I wanted to make something new, but didn't want to use the oven (it's so dang hot out there!) So, I tried a new recipe, two actually! Cute Brynn tried a new dessert recipe as well, and all 3 turned out delicious!!

I found the Shredded Chicken Taco recipe in my favorite cookbook,
"365 Days of Slow-Cooking".


I used two different recipes in one for the chicken tacos. They turned out really good!! (pg. 66 and pg. 70)

 I placed 2 chicken breasts into the crockpot with 1 T chili powder, 3 garlic gloves, minced, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 T oil, 1 8-oz can of tomato sauce, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 1/2 onion chopped for 2 hours on high. I also added lime juice form a large lime, salt and pepper. I shredded the breasts with forks until it was completely shredded. I then turned my crock pot onto low. (total cook time was 3 hours on high and then a short amount of time on low while I was preparing the salsa.)

I heated some corn tortillas and added the meat with cheese and fresh salsa I whipped up. Delicious!


 I have a couple of different Spanish Rice recipes but I wanted to try something new, and I'm glad I did. I liked this one better than the other two!


2 C. rice, 3/4 C. oil, 1/2 C. tomato sauce ( I used 1 can of RoTel Mexican Tomatoes instead and it brought more heat...Perfect!), 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 onion chopped, 1 tsp. garlic powder (I chopped up 2 cloves instead, I always like fresh!), 3 C. water , 1 bouillon cube, and a dash of cumin. 

Heat oil in the pan and add rice until golden brown. In a small bowl, add water and bouillon cube and place in microwave for 2 minutes. When done, add water mixture to rice. Also add tomato sauce, salt, garlic, onion and cumin. Cover. Simmer 45 minutes-1 hour.



We also put the rice into the tacos and that was yummy too!! 

1 Comment:

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

We are always on the look out for good crock pot recipes. It's too hot and muggy to heat up the house! Can't wait to try these!