Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pants

I keep going back and forth with this "wearing pants to church on Sunday" non-sense. I read different articles and posts on facebook and want to write a blog about it.  Then I think I don't want to involve myself and give the issue more ammunition.

(for those reads that have no idea what the heck I am talking about, this is it in a nutshell. Some Woman rights activists within the LDS Church think that because men hold the priesthood they have better roles in our church than women do.  They feel there are gender disparities that need to be addressed, and they need to be addressed now. Therefore, the protest is for women to wear pants at church on Sunday to show their support and feelings.)

But, here I am on the evening of it all. I wonder if anyone in my ward will wear pants, besides all the men. I think not. I hope not.

To me, it is super disrespectful to protest during church, particularly during Sacrament meeting. This protest would be occurring during a time where I go once a week and partake of the sacrament and remember the covenants that I've made with Christ.

If you feel so strongly about something, great. But, there is a time and place for it. And Church is never the time, nor the place. Why would anyone want to cause contention at church, especially with what's been happening lately to our country and with other people around the world.

If anyone has listened to the General Authorities of the Church in General Confernce, you will hear them constantly praise and adore the Sisters of this Church.  But when they speak to the brethren, it is more calls to action and occasionally rebuke for the things that they need to improve.  Priesthood, while it is authority from God to act in his name, is a principle founded upon service.  It is not something that sets the person on some higher plain religiously.  A priesthood holder cannot give himself a blessing, or perform ordinances to himself.  It must be done to another person.  Anyone who is familiar with the Priesthood has to understand THIS principle.  And besides, anyone who has been around enough knows who really has the power in any family or ward, it is the Sisters!!!

I would consider myself a very independent, strong, powerful woman. I can do anything...with the Lord's help. The priesthood is such an awesome blessing in my life and something that I am so thankful for.

But I don't think that I need to hold the priesthood in order to be a righteous daughter of my Heavenly Father, and enjoy his blessings.  And if the priesthood is not available, I know that my prayer for a sick child, a hurt friend, or for whatever other reason, is just as powerful coming from me than a priesthood holder. I am thankful for that knowledge.  However, if the priesthood is available, I would love the service that these men could provide in my life, as well.

My testimony of the church of Jesus Christ is simple, but strong. I know the church is true. I know my Savior died for me. I know I have a loving Heavenly Father and Mother who love me unconditionally. I know the Book of Mormon IS the Word of God. I know there is a living prophet to guide me and help me in my everyday life.

3 Comments:

theDistractedsoul said...

I don't know much about Church so can't comment on this one..
All the same its interesting blog and a very interesting name! Good Luck to the princess and her 7 little knights :)

Diana said...

Well said, Lori. I haven't heard any of this discussion here in California except the bits on Facebook. I think it comes right down to the strength of your testimony and knowing your own worth and that you're a child of god. Hopefully those sisters learn that.

Rebekkah Monaghan said...

Wheres my like button? I couldn't agree more with your comments. I have actually been thinking about this topic(w/out knowing the discussion was going on elsewhere) and I have come to the same conclusion as you. Thank you for sharing.,