Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book Reviews

The last time I typed up a book review was back in November 2012. That is way too much time to pass before writing another review. I have read over 40 books since then, and there is no way I'm going to review all of them for you.  But I do want to take the time and let you know the ones I loved and why! There are several Young Adult books I really liked that I will share with you. Scott and I try to read the same books our boys are reading so we can discuss the books with them. It makes for entertaining talks with the boys!

Starting backwards...

  • The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull ****

  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Juster Norton **** I read this book a million years ago and was glad to read it again!

  • Sarah's Quilt by Nancy Turner ****

  • The Good Earth by Pearl Buck **** I wasn't thrilled about the ending of this book, but it goes to show how money and greed can get to you.

  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith **** I loved Francie and was cheering her on the entire time. A good story about hardship and love.

  • The Maze Runner by James Dashner **** (finally!!) I read this the same time as one of my boys. It's a creative and interesting story.

  • The Glass House by Jeanette Walls **** Loved, loved loved this TRUE story. It's so shocking to me how people live so differently than how I do.

  • The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom ****

  • The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner **** I kept asking Scott what was going to happen next, but he would never tell me. So I had to just kept reading and reading.

  • The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer ****

  • The Lost Hero by Rick Riodan **** I don't gravitate to books with mythical creatures, dragons or sci-fi stuff.  BUT, this was a real good book. Even though it's lengthy, it was a quick read!

  • The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin **** Scott, Jackson and I all read this at the same time.

  • Micheal Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans ****

  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner **** A good ending to the series
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner Prequel) by James Dashner **** A interesting start to it all
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott **** I've seen several Little Women movies and finally read the book. It was beautifully written.

  • The Entitlement Trap by Richard Eyer **** GREAT advice for the family!  In fact, stay tuned on our blog for how we have implemented some of the elements with our family.

  • Matched by Ally Condie ****

  • Crossed by Ally Condie ****

  • Edenbrook by  Julianne Donaldson **** LOVED this book. Loved the story, so cute. I told Scott he needs to read this...it's that good!


As you can tell from all the 4 stars above, those are the really good ones! Are there any YOU have read that I should add to my to-read list??

PLEASE, Please, please join Goodreads and rate the books you have read. I check my account often and will add books my friends have read and rated 5 stars! I want to hear from you! Also, there is a place on your account where it will not only track the books you're reading but you can make a goal for reading a certain number of books for this year.

0 Comments: