Thursday, September 23, 2010

Is this wrong?

Really, I am interested in what you think about this one.

Let me give you some background...We just moved to Utah. And I LOVE it. BEST decision we ever made. House is rad! Ward is awesome. School is great. So many wonderful friends and family around. LOVE it!

So it had been like 4-5 weeks and I still hadn't received a calling. One of my friends was like, Shhh girl-friend. Enjoy it while it lasts. But I really wanted to be utilized. I enjoy doing, being active. Scott received a calling. Gospel Doctrine teacher every other week and High Priests teacher every other week. So basically he's teaching every week. He loves it. And I am happy for him. The ward is lucky to have him as a teacher. He's a great teacher.

A few weeks into living here I spoke with the Relief Society president and told her if she ever needed a substitute to teach that I was available...anytime. She said she was impressed with the offer and thanked me. I tried to drop a little seed. I LOVE being a RS teacher. I also love being the primary chorister. Both are my FAVORITE callings!

So finally I get called in and they ask me to teach the 11 year old class. Wha? Ok I say reluctantly. (I've never said no to a calling before). Then later the primary pres says she wants me to team teach the 9 year olds. Wha? That's Jackson's class. I love my kids, but I DO NOT WANT TO TEACH THEM! I feel like I spend all week teaching them about gospel principals and then love to have other adults instill the same message on Sunday's to them. Also, I have Nathan. A baby to disrupt class and I will have to leave to nurse/change diapers/take him home early to nap. Ugh!

I'm bugged and feel this is totally UNinspired. If you really knew me, you'd know that I would do better elsewhere! The thing is I really feel like primary teachers are the best in the world! Seriously I hold them all on a pedestal and am so thankful for their service. As a mother of six children I applaud their service and time they put into ewach and every lesson. But, I don't wanna do it. I know, I'm lame. I need to buck up. I just don't feel like it's for me.

Help!

What are your thoughts?

4 Comments:

Erin Noel said...

You want help...well here it is! For the last 11 years 90% of my callings have been in primary so I totally understand you being a little reluctant...it can be hard with a little one and teaching your own child! Now for the flip side...you love having primary teachers instill the same message to your kids that you teach them at home...maybe the Lord feels it's for the kids in the 9yr old class to have Lori teach them the things they need to know right now and help those kids parents instill the things they are learning at home!
I know primary feels like "really me are you sure Lord"? But I can tell you from experience "even teaching your own son" if you let it, it will be one of the best callings you will have!
And hey I even taught one of your kids and I had a blast! So I think you will have a blast teaching your own son even though it doesn't feel that way right now!
Hope this helps you and really you will be fantastic those kids will love you!!!

NIKOL said...

First: maybe you didn't get a calling right away because they knew you had Nathan and didn't want to burden you.

Second: there's nothing wrong with telling them you don't want to teach your own son's class.

Third: sometimes you get callings you don't like and don't seem like a good fit. It stinks, and there isn't much you can do about it. Either you take it or you don't. If you take it, you have to grin and bear it and make the most out of it. Right now, I'm a Scout leader and I seriously can't stand it. I put on a happy face, and I prepare fun activities for the boys, and they're getting their badges and whatnot. I am doing the calling, and I feel like I'm doing it well. I feel like the boys enjoy Scouts when I'm there. But, if I'm being honest, I think Scouts is kind of lame and I dread going to meetings every week. But, I agreed to do this calling. So I do it.

As a side note, I think with some callings, it's not really a matter of inspiration so much as just finding someone willing and able to do the job. Sorry if that seems overly cynical.

Rebekkah Monaghan said...

I understand the feeling! It is nice to get away from your kids and having someone else reinforce the gospel principles that you are teaching.
I think you will do a great job as a primary teacher but if it was me I would ask to switch class level so I wasnt teaching my own.
Another thought mybe this is a test.

Tara Nelson said...

Lori, I was thinking to myself why and how did I miss this post? Well? I am thinking I know why. The answer to you is the same as to me and my struggle with my calling that I admit I am no bueno! But... You know the Lord puts us where we are needed most. The thing for you to know from me? Did you know I hold YOU on a pedastool? Yes granted that we are no longer near each other but I learn so much from you and your forever giving,loving fun mom, wife and friend aspect in life through your blog. I know this post is a little old. I am now curious as to how your "lessons" and calling is coming along? Good luck and thank you so much for the wonderful Blog post.