Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reading Reviews

Way back on August 30th, I wrote a post about books and my review of those books. In that same post I made a goal to read a book every week, until the end of the year. And guess what? I've been keeping that goal and exceeding it!! I've been doing a lot of reading and enjoying every second of it!

I had just started reading "Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It was a quick read, and makes you think about your relationships in your life. Even the small ones. ***

"Venom" by K.C. Grant. An LDS novel by an author I really enjoy. This was her first novel, and you can tell.  ***

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. Really makes you think how the small things can make such a big impact in our lives, and we don't even know it. ****

"Shopaholic #2" by Sophie Kinsella. Darling. She is such a unique and silly character, it's fun to take a break and read from this series. ****

"Airman" by Eoin Colfer was a great story. I am still not sure if it is a true story or not. This boy has a talent and continues to perseveer through some real hard times. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put this down. ****

"Little Bee" by Chris Cleave was a sad story. I cried a couple times and really felt for both the main characters. It helps to put my easy, charmed life into perspective. ****

"Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. Oh man! I was only into this book a few chapters and I had to Google search what feet binding was, wow! Simply amazing story of two girls and their life story. I am sure glad I was not born in that time and place! ****

"Gregor the Overlander" by Suzanne Collins. Yes, the same author to Hunger Games. She wrote this young adult fiction series before the Hunger Games. Two of my boys were reading it and I wanted to read it also, to talk with them about the story. They loved it, so did Scott. ***

"Shopaholic #3" By Sophie Kinsella. I was needing another fun, easy read. I seriously laugh out loud to these books. Witty and charming. ****

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. This is Scott's absolute favorite book. I had to read it, and wondered why it had taken me so long to do so. It was well written, I'm just not into Science Fiction. ***

"Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier. I had heard a lot of great things about this book and was excited to read it. The beginning and middle were great. It kinda slowed down towards the end and didn't seem to tie all the loose ends up for me. Still worth reading. ***

"Room" by Emma Donoghue. Wowza. A creepy, sad story of a young girl who was abducted and held captive for many years in a tiny room. It her story of how and why she survived. ***

"Holes" by Louis Sachar. What a great book! Two of my boys already read it and Scott read it right after me. Then, we rented the movie and all watched it together. Well written. I love how the two stories and intertwined together. ****

There are a few others, which I'll write about later. Have YOU read anything great lately? I'd love to know about it!

1 Comment:

Elizabeth said...

A couple years ago I read the snow flower and the secret fan...and I loved it!! I could not believe what they would do to their feet. I just finished the umwanteds... pretty good young adult book. Its nominated for the beehive award. Sorry about all lowercase, I'm on my phone. ;-)