Thursday, August 30, 2012

Good Reads, Referrals Needed!

I have been reading like a crazy lady lately! Since sweet Preston has been born I've gone through 9 books! I'm almost done with #10 and I just started #11 this afternoon.

I've been listening to most of the books! Here is a few great ideas of how to get books on your iPod or iPhone.

One, sign up through Audiobooks. They charge you but you can use their service on 3 different devices. So, you can share it with two other friends. Pretty good deal.

Two, buy and borrow books on your Kindle. Some of the Kindle books will read to you, but it's a funky robot voice and gets annoying after a while.

Three, check out the audio CDs at the library! That's what we've been doing most of the time. Scott commutes about an hour a day, so he's been doing this for a while. I finally figured out this is an awesome way to get through some of my "to read" books. While I'm nursing, cross guarding or being the taxi service for my kids. It's been great.

Here are the books I've read and what I think of them.

1. Fifty Shades of Grey (Don't judge me!) **
2. Enduring Light *** (cute LDS romance novel)
3. Unbroken **** (true heart-wrenching story of an  extremely strong and brave man)
4. Lost in Shangri-La **** (Another true story of courage that also teaches us about judging and accepting others)
5. The Thirteenth Tale *** (most of my friends loved this. I thought it was ok, I just couldn't get into it!)
6. Outliers **** (extremely good read. Highly recommend!!)
7. Heaven is For Real **** (a true story about a boy who visits heaven and his interpretation of it and how it affects his family)
8. Abish Mother of Faith *** (cute LDS romance novel)

I'm almost done with
9. Confessions of a Shopaholic (this adorable British gal is hilarious and totally out of her mind. Very cute.)
I started
10. "The Five People you meet in Heaven" this afternoon. (I'm only 20 pages in...)

The next few books on my "to-read" list are:
The House at Riverton
Graceling
Heaven is Here
The Devil in the White City
The Forgotten Garden
The Kitchen House
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Airman
Sarah's Quilt

Any other GREAT books I'm missing? PLEASE let me know! I'll add it to my list!

So here's my goal...I'm going to (either listen or read off Kindle) one book a week for the rest of the year. Lofty, I know. Scott thinks I should change it to 3 books a month. But I know I can do this. I want to do this. I'm already ahead of my goal (made last week) which is great! I just need to continue to read GREAT books! Referrals needed!

Also, I am a member on Goodreads.com, which is an EXCELLENT site for tracking the books that you have read, the books you are currently reading, and the ones that you have put on your "to-read" list.  If you want to add me as a friend, search for me by my email address, princess_belle@hotmail.com.

1 Comment:

Amelia Poll said...

No recommendations that come to mind, but I wanted to say that I absolutely LOVED The 5 People You Meet in Heaven. I read it very quickly - I think in about 3 days. It is a wonderful story.

One thing that Justin and I do, if you have an iPod, is we import the audiobook CDs into iTunes and then we can listen to the books on our iPods or iPhones. Also, a lot of libraries now offer digital copies of books that can be read on a device like a kindle. Just some things to consider.