Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Freegan, have you heard of this?

I saw a show on Oprah last year about freegan. DO you know what this is? Part of me is like, SICK and oh, so wrong. And the other part of me is really interested in how this all works. Freegan is a person who pretty much dumpster dives and finds treasures. On Oprah is was mainly perishable food items that people would find in dumpsters behind grocery stores and such. I've thought about wanting to go, but I'd never just go by myself or alone. Too weird and unfamiliar.
One of my friends was telling me about freegan and she has found cards, roses and frozen chicken breasts still in packages. I started asking her more questions and she finally confessed she's a freegan. (or goes freegan. Not sure of the lingo).
Tonight she is off to Cost-co, Safeway and Fry's and I am coming along for the ride! I am excited to see how it all works behind the scenes. I won't be jumping into any dumpsters, being preg-o and all, but it will be fun to watch all the action!

4 Comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

i've never heard of that but FUN!
good luck! i have dumpster dived for boxes when moving. and behind Ulta my mother in law got LOADS of free samples they'd tossed. lotions and stuff. pretty great!

Chandy said...

Wow, that is some adventure for sure! My hubby and I used to do that for Coupon Sense coupons, looking in the recycling bins for whole newspapers or ads that have coupons in them that people threw away, but I never knew there was a name for it. And we never went inside any dumpster, just reached into recycling bins or garbage bins for something like free samples that people threw away. Again for the CS coupons. ;-D

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

okay...i can picture it now :) go ahead...have fun...and let me know how it goes :)

rachel said...

I am so interested to see what you get!! You have to post and let us know!!