Tuesday, January 15, 2013

William

Yesterday, January 14th, my only brother William passed away.

I received a call from my mom about 4pm with the horrific news. The officer was still at my mom's house explaining to her what had happened as she was calling me.

Scott sat me down on the foot of my bed and handed me the phone. My mom was crying and said something about William. I immediately started crying and yelling "No!". I put the phone down, curled up in Scott's arms and continued to ball.

Will came running up the stairs worried for his mom and quickly realized what had happened and he began to cry.

I talked to the police officer and asked several questions. So did Scott. What a terrible job that officer has.

Late Sunday night ,William was partying with his friends under the Arellaga overpass in Santa Barbara. (This is what's a little unclear and hopefully will be resolved as soon as I get to Santa Barbara.) His friends left and on Monday morning were wondering where William was, so they headed back to the overpass and found his body.

The police officer said it looked like no foul play had occurred. William was found laying face down on the ground and paraphernalia was around. Most likely it was an overdose.

There will be blood work done to verify and, if necessary, an autopsy.

I am flying to Santa Barbara tomorrow to be there for my mom, to see the body and get more answers.

Despite the fact William was in and out of prison, a drug addict, and usually homeless. He was a son, a brother, a friend and an uncle. We were always close and I love and adore him. He will sorely be missed.

William just turned 41 years old.

Hopefully a huge burden has been lifted from his shoulders and he has more peace.

5 Comments:

Qwendykay said...

Lori, I am so sorry for your loss. No matter what life choices our family makes, we love them, they will always be our family, and it doesn't mean that their loss is any less tragic.

I've written a lot about grief over the last two years, it is such a strange and personal journey. I hope you can find peace, and know that you have an army of people praying for you and your family.

Crazymamaof6 said...

So dad. I'm glad you had a chance for some quality time with him this year before this happened. Thinking of you at this sad time. Hugs!

Crazymamaof6 said...

Sad.*

Josh & Elise said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for your heart breaking loss. :( I will be praying for you and your family.

debrajo said...

I'm so sorry, Lori! This is a sweet post, though. You are the kind of person who lives in a way that I wish I could emulate. Because I know you, I know you were a fantastic sister to William, and that without a doubt he knew you were there for him and loved him thru thick & thin. That is a gift that cannot be bought--it's a gift of the heart, and I'm sure if he could he would thank you for all the good times he had with you and for the unconditional love you gave him.

I lost a cousin to a drug overdose & it was one of the worst experiences of my life--I am sure it's even harder that this kind of an experience happened to your brother. Hang in there, we'll be praying for you & your family at this time.