Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Freezer Jam...YUM!!!



Well, it's that time of year again.....JAM MAKIN' TIME!!! We made a batch last summer and ate it all year long. It was awesome. While we were up in Solvang the other day we decided to head to Lompoc to get some fresh, huge, juicy strawberries. For an entire flat it was $15.00. Pretty good. I ended up making 2 batches. One, Strawberry Freezer jam and the other Strawberry-Raspberry jam. Oh. My. Goodness. Both turned out so, so good. My mouth is watering just typing about them both. Enjoy the pictures of some of my cute boys that helped and BOTH recipes are at the bottom. Enjoy, I know we will!!
Add lots, and lots of sugar!
Fresh lemon juice from a lemon Will picked from my moms tree. (Whenever you're cooking and using lemon; Lemon Bars, Pies, whatever, try to use real lemons. Try to use lemons picked from a tree that you can see. The grocery store lemons are small hard and don't hold a lot of juice)

STIR, STIR, and KEEP STIRRING....

In the freezer they go! See you soon yummy, sweet, tasty jam!!

Strawberry Freezer Jam (this is half a batch...5 2C plastic Ziploc containers.
1 qt Strawberries (4C.)
1 pack Certo
2T lemon juice
4C sugar
Wash and smash strawberries, add 1/2 the sugar, stir well. Let sit 10 minutes stirring regularly. Mix Certo and lemon juice in small bowl then add to berry/sugar mix. Add in rest of sugar, stir 5 minutes. Pour into containers and place in freezer. Done! Easy! I got this recipe from a friend of mine who inherited it from her grandmother. The grandmother used it for over 40 years! Yes, it's that good!!

Strawberry/Raspberry freezer Jam is from my friend Angela at Creative Homemaker. Check out her blog for the recipe!

4 Comments:

Deirdre said...

Silly question...can you take out a container and keep it in the fridge or does it need to stay frozen?
Thanks so much for sharing, I've had this at parties and it is SOOOOO good!

Erin Noel said...

Hey where do you get the certo? I have never heard of it!

Alissa said...

Mmmmmm! I've never had freezer jam before! Sounds soooo good!

Yvonne O'Riley said...

This looks great Lori. Can't wait to try it out!
I want to try with Apricots...raspberries... Strawberries. Thank you for turning me on to this!