Thursday, November 4, 2010

Is being Good, Good enough?

I think I'm a good mom, but I am always trying to think of ways to be better. Sometimes I succeed and other times I fail. I do believe I am on an upward curve and I am getting better at my job. There is a learning curve at this motherhood thing. But is good, good enough?

When Will was 6 months old I went back to work and he stayed home with my mom. (Which was so great because to this day they have a connection and bond like no other!!) When he was one, we put him in a preschool. After Jackson came along, he went to the same preschool at age one. Then came along Tyler and he too went to the same school with his older brothers at age 10 months. I went to work and had adult conversations and did adult things, and had "me time". Looking back, I could tell I had more patience and understanding for the little boys. Was it because half my day was spent away from them?

After we moved to Arizona, I had Jackson and Tyler at home with me and then came baby Gavin. Wow!!! Child overload! It was hard to be there 24-7 and I knew my patience and understanding was limited. I struggled...and still do...just not as much with being overwhelmed and quick to get upset.

Now, I am living in Salt Lake City and I have Nathan and Brigham home all day with me and Gavin half day (he goes to this great preschool at the elementary school from Monday through Thursday, 8am to 11:15am), and life is great! I try to schedule everyone's plans so everyone gets "mom time", but then make sure that mom gets "her" time too.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I did it all when living in Arizona. Maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe it's because I've learned to deal with it better. Maybe these younger boys are easier. Maybe it's because I'm getting use to it. Not sure. But I know I have more patience, time and understanding with these awesome boys of mine.

I love being a mom. I love each of my sons so much. I know I'm a good mom. I want to be a better mom. Is being good, good enough? I am thankful for so many friends of mine that are great moms that encourage and strengthen me daily!

I sure hope being good, is good enough!

3 Comments:

NIKOL said...

I think you really hit on a subject that most moms feel - regardless of whether they're at-home moms or working moms. I think that most parents feel exactly the way you feel in this post: hoping that being "good" is "good enough."

I can tell you, from an outside perspective, it seems like you are really all over this mom thing! Seems like you're doing fun stuff with your kids all the time. You manage to have FHE and scripture study. Awesome birthday parties and family outing. And you still have time for crafting and nights out with the girls! You're amazing!

Alissa said...

Oh man, you are the best mom ever! You always give me great ideas of fun things to do with my kids, you're inspiring! You're doing a great job & yes being good IS good enough:) Keep doin' what you're doin' Lori, you're awesome!

Shalene Miller said...

So are you telling I have to have 4 more kids to finally get patience? I wish I would of known this before I started trying.