Saturday, October 27, 2012

Personal History In Depth: College Years

I found this GREAT site, This is ME Challenge. I was so inspired to participate, so here is my FOURTH post about ME! It's broken up in sections you write about yourself, family and interests. There are several areas to choose from. I plan on doing this about once a week. It's a great way to get information for genealogy and your posterity to have.

Here is the fourth one:
 
College years:

*Did you attend college or a trade school of some sort?

Yes, I attended Utah Valley State College in Orem, Utah

*How did you choose what you wanted to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to be a fire fighter. I attended the fire school program and EMT program at UVSC. I only accomplished the first year of both programs. I realized as much as I loved everything I was learning, I wanted to be a mom more. Yeah, you can be a fire fighter and a mom, but I wanted to be a mom more.

*What did you think was the hardest thing about your chosen profession at that time?

I was the only female in my fire classes and there were only 3 girls in the EMT class. Most of the participants were older men and they were nice, but they teased us relentlessly.

*Did it turn out that way?
Ummm, nope. My dream of marrying and being a mother out weighed any other option. I think of about it sometimes and try to think how different my life would be if I had chosen a different avenue.

*What dumb things did you do during those years?
I wouldn't necessarily call it dumb, but I dated a lot. I wasted a lot of my time with other women's husbands. I wish I had been more focused on school work.


*What good things did you do?
I made a lot of friends and great college memories. Also, during my college years, I decided to serve an 18 month mission for my church.


*Did you live on your own? How well prepared were you for that?
I lived in a few different apartments with girls my age. Most of them I am still in contact with to this day. All the girls were my age, LDS, single and had a lot in common with. I loved college. It was a lot if fun. It is wonderful to still have a lot of those girls as close friends!


*What choices did you make that affect where you are now?
I continued to choose the right. I know that may sound a little elementary, but its true. I continued going to church, reading my scriptures, praying. I hung out with friends with the same beliefs as I. It made all the difference in the world attending a college in Utah, with the majority of people I came in contact with was LDS. I dated guys I wanted to marry. I worked and saved money for my future. I also decided then to serve a mission.

0 Comments: