Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tortilla Soup!


Yesterday afternoon I was looking in my freezer, fridge and pantry on what I was going to make for dinner. I have plenty of items to choose from but only hamburger meat to use. I have my little handy-dandy list taped to my pantry to help me decide and I notice "Tortilla Soup". Sounded good. But, I've never made it. I remember my friend in SB has a great recipe but I couldn't find hers. SO, I searched on the Internet and found a new one. And it was GOOD! My picky eaters even ate it. They thought the coolest part was crunching up chips and adding them, to the top on the soup and also adding a handful of cheese! It was tasty, easy, and a fun dinner with the family.

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients


  • 2 ears of fresh corn

  • 4-5 large garlic cloves peeled

  • 1 sm onion

  • 1 sm jalapeno trimmed and seeded
  • 2TB corn oil
  • 2 lg ripe tomatoes
  • 2-3 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 qt chicken stock
  • salt & pepper to taste

Garnish:

  • Corn tortillas
  • Avocado
  • chicken breast, cooked, bones, chopped
  • cheese
  • cilantro

Directions:

Scrape kernels of the corn cobs (or you can use a can of corn). Finley chop up garlic, onion, and jalapeno. Add corn.

In a large soup pot heat oil. Stir in vegetables and simmer. Add tomatoes (or canned ones), and cumin. Slowly pour in stock. Cook on low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. ( I also added in some cooked hamburger meat)

I cooked this on low heat for about an hour. We poured some into our bowls, scrunched up tortilla chips and added a little cheese.

ENJOY!

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl -
I lost your # and email. My new e-mail is stacylurie@gmail.com

Lacey said...

We love tortilla soup at my house- a few tips...

Add chopped fresh cilantro, kidney beans, and 1 cup salsa. I usually do chicken too and it's so good! Topped with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips you really can't go wrong!

Mamathom and Papathom said...

That sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.