Friday, May 18, 2012

Planting Potates and the rest of my garden

 We finally planted potatoes the other day! I dug a shallow grave and placed several pieces of the potatoes on the ground. I barley covered them up with some dirt, then I added a handful of grass clippings to the top. Every time Will mows the lawn he'll them place a another handful of grass clippings to the top. Why grass clippings (or straw) you ask? So when it's time to harvest these potatoes I wont have to dig a huge hole trying to find all those potatoes. They'll be hardly covered by dirt and very assessable!
 This is the back row of my garden where I have a few fruit trees.
 This is the entire main garden area. We will be putting in a fire pit near the top area soon. We completely redesigned the garden from last year and added that huge white watering pipe in the back.
We have onions, green onions, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, zucchini, cabbage, peas, carrots, corn, broccoli and cauliflower growing in there! Towards the bottom of the garden there are still 8 rows empty. We planted 4 rows of corn 2 weeks ago and next week we will plant another 4 rows...and then another. YUM!
 On the side of the garage I have my herb garden with a ton of basil, cilantro, mint and parsley.
On the window side of the garage I have my strawberry patch that Will planted for me! You can't really see the plants that well but there is well over 50!

I also have several fruit trees around the yard, a raspberry patch (that is 5x larger than last years!!), and pumpkins all over the yard.
I love gardening. I love watering. I love weeding. I love being outside. I love it all!

2 Comments:

NIKOL said...

Gardening is so awesome!!! I've never tried potatoes, but I'd like to. I worry that San Diego doesn't have a good climate for it. But you never know until you try. Do you have mint actually in the ground in your herb garden? It's easy for that stuff to get out of control. Or so I hear. Do you have any oregano? Mine took off and now is growing all over the place! I just love growing stuff. So much fun.

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

I love seeing it all~ we're trying the tire method for potatoes. i need to add more soil soon but you can see them pushing up the soil which is very exciting! harvested my mint yesterday and NIKOL is right, it gets way out of hand! the previous owner put a ton in and i can't get it dug up fast enough! there are all kinds of ideas online though for containing it :) gonna steal your white water lie idea...genius!