Friday, January 9, 2009

Finacial Pledge

I enjoy listening to Suze Orman, and yesterday she was on Oprah. (Thank goodness for Tivo!!) Any who, the discussion was on your finances and how to get out of debt, stay out of debt and other good practices for when you're an adult.

Her big plug at the end was this:

For ONE day do NOT spend any money
For ONE week do NOT use a credit card
For ONE month do NOT eat out at any restaurant

Now, I was taking notes until the end. The audience was oohing and awing over how difficult this would be. Really? I practice this all the time. This is EASY to do. This is how I live. Right? I don't mean do bag on Suze or Oprah, love them both, but come on.

4 Comments:

peachytiffers said...

I didn't get to see all of it, but what was with the girl at the end who refused to do it because she could not do the restaurant one. It was so annoying! I'm going to download the book right now.

Deanna said...

The not spend any money for one day would be ok, but it would be hard to go two...the no credit card thing...no problem...but not eat out would be more difficult. I spend way too much time getting Vanilly Dr. Pepper from Sonic...

Chandy said...

If I watched that segment, I probably would have been the one in front of the TV cheering Orman on. Spending too much on anything actually gives me such an anxiety attack that I feel so guilty even when the next expense is for the basics! Charlie always has to prep me with "how we need it" so that he can convince me to go for it. I have not been carrying a wallet or a purse the last week so that I wouldn't get tempted to buy anything we can't afford. He's optimistic about the refund and our school loan, but I want to hire BofA to keep it all locked away in a CD for at least 10 years, but of course, we can't afford that either, lol!

Lacey said...

First off, I don't watch Oprah anymore..or dr. phil. Both have been on far too long and just don't interest me anymore.

I do like Suzy Orman though and really like all the advice she gives. I'm with you though on the first 2..piece of cake...now the third one..NOPE! We eat out once a week...ONLY because Chris brings his lunch to work everyday and we don't eat out during the week. And usually our eat outs are Barro's or Wendy's. Unless Chris and I go on a date, we rarely go to a sit down restaurant...except Applebee's or Chili's. I feel like eating out once a week is a realistic goal and we can look forward to it because we haven't done it all week. PLUS, if you have to have some fun right? And that's fun for me, not cooking!