Sunday, November 9, 2008

Say NO to drugs!

I was very young when my only older brother started smoking pot. I saw how my mom, Gram, and brother acted about this situation. As a young girl, I didn't realize the severity of the problem or what was going to come next. I am sad to say it's gotten worse and worse over the MANY years. I often think how could it possibly get any worse, and sure enough, it does and it has. The occasional pot smoking escalated quickly (unfortunately) and many other drugs became a part of life for my sweet brother. Then all of a sudden things changed. I could tell. My mom could tell. We were worried. More than usual, if that was possible. Heroin. What a brilliant invention from Satan. It's so addicting. (so I've heard and seen first hand). Not only have I been lied to way too many times to count or even care about anymore, but many things have been stolen from me because of drugs. If you look in the crook of my brother's arm where there are supposed to be veins, there are none. But there are dark black lines; the evidence of DAILY heroin use. He's been in and out of prison too many times to count, it doesn't even phase him anymore. Or me. Sad. I do adore him. He's funny. He loves movies, pizza, amusement parks, and playing games. My kids adore him too. They love when Uncle William is home and follow him as if he were a god. I prefer when he's in prison. I know he's safe, sheltered, and fed. When he's out ... you just never know. When he doesn't come home for a day or two I start to worry. Expecting to receive a call about his "accidental" overdose or his murder. I've prepared myself for that. Sad. I feel bad about him and the situation he's in. Could I have done something different to help him? To save him? I don't think so. If you have a child or know someone hooked on drugs I believe they don't have to hit "rock bottom" to realize what they're doing and want to change. The one and only good thing, if you want to call it that, is that it made it crystal clear to me that I never wanted to do drugs. Not even try any. Same with cigarettes, and alcohol. I am proud to say with conviction that I have NEVER tried any of those things.

A couple of weeks ago he got real sick with a blood clot in his leg. He went to the ER and stayed in the hospital for a few days. A couple days later he got a nose bleed that didn't stop after several hours of nonstop bleeding. And his leg seemed worse. I told him to get to the hospital ASAP. He went and stayed there for a week. He had surgery, and many other things that happened while staying in there. When he got released he went to my moms and stayed there with her. He could hardly walk still being in a lot of pain. The next morning he was gone. He came home several hours later... high. Unbelievable. Unbelievably sad. He had a horrific experience the last week or so in the hospital and then straight back to what he knows. What he's comfortable with. Sad.

Everyone has vices. Watching TV, drinking soda... whatever it is. Think of something you do everyday, that you LOVE to do... that you HAVE to do. (not eating or sleeping). Eating chocolate, drinking alcohol, exercising, checking your email or surfing the Internet....I could go on and on. You try NOT doing that special something for 1 day and you will get a little taste of what my brother is going through.

So all I can think of to end this LONG post is:
DON'T DO DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comment:

Paul and Celeste said...

Lori, I am so sorry to hear about your family's experiences. I am thankful for your post, though. It takes a lot of courage to talk about these types of things... I'm sorry to say that I understand what you and your family have gone through all too well. I've had siblings involved in these types of things. The rest of them made it through and overcame their addictions...but not my youngest brother. He is caught in a web of addiction (meth, among other things), crime, stealing, violence etc. I know that nothing will save him at this point except a miracle from Heavenly Father. So for now, we just continue to pray for him.