Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gardening part II

Gardening part II! Here are some more pictures of the work Scott and I have been doing all week long.

This is what it looked like before I began. Hard, hard dirt with a thick layer of tiny little rocks. it's suppose to be pretty for the landscape but I HATE them! They get into you shoe and into my house. You can hear them in my vacuum cleaner and you can't run out to the car and get something barefoot. You have to wear shoes!
After I racked the area I had to water it a bit and then I started turning over the soil. I did this 4 times before moving onto the next step. I was very surprised to see how beautiful the soil was. I didn't even have to use gypsum!
Scott helped me stake out the area. Each row must be 3' and each bed is 2.5'.
All the kids came out on Friday and helped in their own special way!
Scott is cutting some PVC piping to make covers for some of the rows. We will need to add a 30% white shade cloth to some of the areas when it starts getting too hot. (fruit will not mature if it's warmer than 95 degrees!) I also need to hang string down to help the plants grow upward.
YEAH! That part is finally complete. It was a log day. Plating will be tomorrow!
On Saturday I added the pre-plant and the weekly feed. After mixing it into the soil it was ready for some seeds and plants! I have a cherry tomato, a tomato, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, carrots, lettuce, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, corn, pumpkin, and watermelon!

I sure hope this works! :)

4 Comments:

Chandy said...

Lori, I hope so too! I'd love to see how they're progressing so get that camera charged with fresh batteries! ;-)

I'm so excited for you!

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Hey, soooo proud of you guys. It looks like you are doing a great job. You are way ahead of us. We still have snow on our garden. Love you.

Jordan Family said...

ugh...posted and it didn't post...blah, blah, blah...proud of you guys...looks really good..that about wraps it up :)
it really does look great! like the pvc support idea...genius!!

Josh and Katy said...

Wow that looks awesome! Good luck with it!